Glen Innes History: Norman Cubis - A man who wore many hats

Norman Cubis: The son of Emmaville pioneers and he was also well known himself in the Glen Innes district.

Norman Cubis: The son of Emmaville pioneers and he was also well known himself in the Glen Innes district.

Norman Cubis died on November 9, 1937. His obituary in the Glen Innes Examiner noted:

“The late Mr Cubis, a well-known and respected resident, whose death occurred in the Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney on the 6th instant, at the age of 62 was born in Emmaville.

“He was the son of the late Mr and Mrs Timothy Cubis, pioneers of Emmaville and it was in that district that the deceased spent his early life.

“He engaged in carrying and subsequently acquired a grazing property on the Severn River, where he remained for 14 years.

“Disposing of his property, he went to Warialda, where he and his sons conducted a motor passenger service business for about two years.

“The next move of the late Mr Cubis was to Glen Innes where he lived to within a few weeks of his death.

“For some years he was in the butchering business here, [selling the Glen Innes business to Campbell brothers in 1926] and also dealt extensively in stock.

“At the time of his death, the deceased had retired from business and taken up residence on his farming property on the Armidale Road.

“The late Mr Cubis, whose wife died about eight years ago, is survived by four daughters – Mesdames A. G. Nelmes (Tenterfield), G. Soars (Murwillumbah), S. Johnson (Glen Innes), and Miss Martha Elizabeth Cubis (Glen Innes), and five sons – Messrs Henry Norman (Glen Innes), Timothy (Glen Innes),  Arthur (Glen Innes), Robert Arthur (Moree) and William George (Sydney).

“A brother George Cubis died some years ago…”

Norman’s wife Elizabeth was the daughter of Henry Baker and Sarah nee Healy.

The couple were mentioned in Elizabeth’s Glen Innes Observer obituary of August 10, 1929 as: “an early and very highly respected family of the north...”

Elizabeth Cubis’ siblings were Florence, Henry, Caroline, Elizabeth, Robert and Fanny.

“… he saw the creek through its palmiest days when we are told miners lit their pipes with bank notes...”

The family had come from Hill End to Emmaville (then called Vegetable Creek) in 1875-76 and Henry Baker’s obituary in the Glen Innes Examiner of May 13, 1904 proclaimed… “he saw the creek through its palmiest days when we are told miners lit their pipes with bank notes and sovereigns were as plentiful as coppers are nowadays”.

The local newspapers are a goldmine containing so much valuable information vital to the study of local and family history.

Read more Glen Innes history: