Being a parent is fantastic, but also exhausting!
It's important parents take care of themselves, not just for their own sake, but to give them more energy, hope, patience and happiness to share with their kids.
Simple steps include:
- Do things you enjoy regularly - reading, walking, gardening, or taking part in religious or cultural activities.
- Catch up with a dear friend.
- Rock out to your favourite music.
- Keep a journal, noting down things you're proud of and grateful for.
- Spend time in nature, even if you're just sitting in the garden.
- Download a meditation app - they have one-minute meditations for beginners.
- When you finish a task, take a moment to congratulate yourself.
- Get into the habit of noticing things that give you happiness, even small stuff like taking a hot shower or looking at a nice view.
- Go somewhere you've never been before, even if it's just an unfamiliar street in your neighbourhood.
- Make your bedroom or workspace nicer, perhaps by cleaning, decluttering, letting in natural light, or adding a plant or a photo.
- Celebrate an anniversary or a day that's important to you.