It could be considered that the most prominent tribute to Town Clerk Veness would be the Town Hall - however the process of building of this 'stately pile' was indeed a fraught time for Council.
It was alderman Dr Frederick Wrigley's idea that a prize of £25 should be given for a competition to provide a design and specifications for a Town Hall to be used as an assembly hall.
A committee of Council - Mayor Moses, and aldermen Wrigley, Sachs, Gillies and Denshire were tasked with finding the best position, and a loan was sought.
Deniliquin architect Frederick Harrison's design was chosen from 14 others.
What resulted has been described as a highlight of the 'boom period' French Renaissance /Italianate hybrid architectural style, and a loan had to be sought to proceed with the building.
Local builder Henry Kendrick won the job with a tender of £2,975, and George F Nott of Armidale attended to the brickwork.
Whilst the new hall was being built the Council business of the Town Clerk, Inspectors, Overseer of Works, and Clerk of Works had to be carried out in a cramped 10 feet by 12 feet room. That room was also used for Council meetings.
Henry Parkes laid the foundation stone, and the building was officially opened in November 1888.
Unfortunately, it had become quite an acrimonious saga and Kendrick went broke over the project and was eventually paid £214 less than the original tender price. Whatever transpired during the building, still it remains a monument to its builder.
Local artist, portrait painter and photographer, Conrad Wagner painted the building for £27/4/10 and a £110 piano was procured from WH Paling.
Although a stage was in the original plan, the splendid proscenium feature was not, and only added later for theatrical and musical performances, after the Music Halls at Tattersalls and the Commercial Hotel, had burnt down. The Commercial Hotel was re-built and renamed as the Imperial.
1890 the Town Hall clock, supposedly the first English Town Hall clock to be erected in the state, a £175 Dent and Co, chimed every 1/4 hour.
The Ancient order of Foresters (one of the forerunners of Social Security) claim to be the first organisation to use the hall and their symbol, an elk's head in a crown is still prominently featured on the facade of the building.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.