Group 19 rugby league: Glen Innes defeat Narwan

LIKE WATER OFF A DUCK'S BACK: Jamie Watts was too slippery for Eels defenders in Sunday's match with the lock crossing for four tries.
LIKE WATER OFF A DUCK'S BACK: Jamie Watts was too slippery for Eels defenders in Sunday's match with the lock crossing for four tries.

Heading into their clash against the Narwan Eels, Glen Innes player-coach Nick Say wanted his team to fire right from the start.

The Magpies had a "very scrappy" second-half in the previous week's match against the Armidale Rams and Say didn't want the trend to continue into Sunday's fixture against Narwan.

Signs were promising early with barely two minutes passing before the first try was scored with Magpies lock Jamie Watts bustting through Narwan's tackle attempts to score to the left of the posts.

After Watts' four-pointer, choppy play ensued with both the Magpies and the Eels trading penalties and errors until the 18 minute-mark when Charlie Ahoy crossed for the visitors to level the scoreline up to 4-all.

A Narwan mistake from the restart helped Glen Innes re-take the lead with Sam Schiffmann bustling over.

The Magpies mimicked Narwan's previous restart with a mistake in their own red zone and Eels rake Justin Breen made his way over the tryline.

Glen Innes made another error coming off their line and Eels' second-rower Jarryd Ritchie nabbed a converted try.

Magpies captain-coach Guy Mepham added his name to the tryscorers' list when he pounced on his own kick in the in-goal area.

Mepham had his second shortly after when he combined with Watts.

A short kick-off attempt by Narwan didn't meet the required distance and Glen Innes capitalised with Watts busting out of dummy-half and over the tryline for a double.

The Magpies went into the half-time break with a 28-14 lead.

"A bit scrappy, it took us a while to get into the game," Say said.

"We were going try-for-try with them and we didn't want to do that against them because they are a quality team.

"They have got a lot of attacking players.

"We scored a couple of quick ones before half-time which laid the platform for the second-half."

It took 15 minutes into the second stanza for points to be scored with Narwan bagging a try when Elijah Tighe burrowed over out wide to close the gap to 28-18.

Glen Innes then put more points on when Ace Holliss finished off a back line move to score in the corner.

Watts then posted back-to-back tries in the final 10 minutes to stretch the final scoreline out to 44-18.

Say praised better control in the second stanza with helping them get over the line.

"Our discipline in the second-half was pretty good, we gave away a few penalties here and there but our ball control was pretty spot on which was pleasing," he said.

As we controlled the footy we made a lot of metres which was good.

"Our goal line defence, they had a lot of chances and they only cracked us once."

Say highlighted Watts, Mepham and Schiffmann for their leadership throughout the performance.

"A few of the older boys really lifted which was pleasing against Narwan so I think we are going in the right direction which is good at this time of year, you want to be going forwards not backwards," he said.

This Sunday the Magpies head to Moree to face the Boars who are coming off a 56-10 over Armidale in A-grade.