Jeannie Ross Fraser researched the story of the hospital, mainly from issues of the Glen Innes Examiner and her history, 'Glen Innes Hospital 1874-1956' was published in 2012
At the 45th Annual meeting the President Mr J Healey in presenting his report referred to the building of six additional bedrooms in the Nurses Home.
A large glassed in sleeping out veranda, an extra bath and toilet accommodation had been completed and furnished for use.
The old portion of the building was completely renovated as well.
Likewise, the male wards were repainted and all ward furniture re-enamelled...
All the work entailed an expenditure of £2400, the largest amount paid out in one year.
Staunch supporters and generous gifts of the Simpson family of Stonehenge Station helped to raise the funds.
All the work entailed an expenditure of £2400.
The present operating room consists of one room and staff anxiously awaited improvements to provide an anaesthetic area and an X-Ray room.
But first the funds had to be raised before an entitlement to NSW Government funds would be forthcoming ...'
During 1920 the Glen Innes Hospital committee was able to make some lasting improvements to its structure.
The two-storey brick building consists of four bedrooms for senior nursing staff, a sleepout veranda, bathroom and toilet, a luggage room, and cupboards on the upper floor.
The ground floor had the new kitchen with food storage space and other facilities.
The bricks used in the construction came from the Glen Innes brickworks,
A concrete courtyard was surrounded on all sides with wooden verandas.
A hot water system was installed for the whole building.
This was supplied from the newly constructed boiler house and would have been of great value and comfort.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.