The Glen Eden Boys Home, opened in 1947, occupied the 17 acres (virtually 6.9 hectares) bounded by Oxford, Oliver, Cross and Lawrance Streets.
The United Protestant Association bought the property for £3500 to accommodate approximately 30 orphan boys, from five-years-old to school leaving age.
It had formerly been the site of the New England Grammar School, and after that school closed in 1939, with falling enrolments due to the Great Depression, the buildings were leased to the Commonwealth Government for 18 months to accommodate expatriots from Portuguese Timor.
Later, students evacuated from the Loreto Convent in Brisbane lived there for two years during World War II.
In 1953 the principal WH Hoskins said it cost the UPA approximately £5000 a year to maintain the home - including running costs of food, clothing, fuel etc.
This did not include building maintenance and repairs and some of the mainly wooden buildings dated from 1928. It cost £5 a week to keep one boy fed, housed and clothed.
A local committee also helped to raise funds, and a gymnasium, workshop, playing fields, tennis courts helped to keep the boys occupied.
After the home closed in 1961, having been deemed 'too isolated', Lindsay Bull, a former New England Grammar School student bought and subdivided the block, thus Lindsay Avenue received its name.
The Citizens Youth Club used the main building until it burnt down in 1954.
Former residents often successfully approach us for history of the home.
The After Care Officer for United Protestant Association in Sydney suggested we also give his contact to anyone asking, as they retain records there.
Some of the boy's memories recalled Thora Parry who was Matron.
The boys were invited to her wedding, and her mother and sister, Grace, also worked there.
'Crusty' Prentice was Thora's replacement. Other staff included Margaret McLoughlin, Mrs Tickle, Jessie Boden, and 'Pop' Williams the gardener.
Kwong Sings and Mackenzie donated crackers and the boys would build a huge bonfire and invite the town.
Smeaton's would send up pies and saveloys and the boys would trade marbles for other boy's meat pies.
At show time Sharman's Boxing Tent let the boys in free.
Two women Teachers College students lodged there while training at Red Range school. They called their dormitory the Zoo and on occasions would climb out the window to sleep on the tank stand in summer.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.